If your organization has started receiving WHMIS 2015 Globally Harmonized System-compliant Safety Data Sheets and Labels from suppliers, then you will need to train your staff in both WHMIS 1988 and WHMIS 2015.
Course length: 3 hours
Class minimum/maximum: no minimum/25
Supervisors Safety Certificate Program: elective course
EOCP CEU’s: applied for
Price: $50 per person. Minimum $400 charge per class.
Post session: Certificate of Completion
Course description: The Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS) was enacted in 1988 and revised in 2015. Suppliers have until December 1, 2018 to become fully compliant, and until all Data Sheets and labels are in the new format, “blended” training covering both systems must take place.
WHMIS was designed and developed to provide information to employees on hazardous materials that they work with or may encounter in the workplace.
Upon completion of this course, the participant will:
- be able to state the purpose of WHMIS;
- be able to describe and understand the key elements of WHMIS (1988) and WHMIS 2015;
- know the rights and responsibilities of suppliers, employers and workers;
- be able to explain WHMIS (1988) and WHMIS 2015 hazard symbols and their meaning;
- be able to describe the information contained on a WHMIS supplier label and workplace label;
- be able to describe the information on a Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) applicable to WHMIS 1988, and Safety Data Sheet (SDS) applicable to WHMIS 2015;
- know how to obtain an MSDS/SDS;
- make practical use of this information by relating it to the products used in their work.